Smiling meditation and right effort



                         Smiling walking path

Hi guys,

Bhante says that sometimes we have to roll up our sleeves and get to work.  When a lot of pain is coming up, it requires more diligent right effort.  So right now I’m rolling up my sleeves.  

So I just did my smiling walk and wanted to share an invitation for anyone compelled or struggling or getting sucked into negativity to do it too😂.  I can see myself doing this for a while, just randomly throughout the day taking these smiling walks.  

First, the instructions I was given was to find a back and forth stretch for the walking meditation.  The stretch should be 40-50 steps or so and without any obstacles, turns, vehicles and distractions.   The object is smiling and to 6 r and return to the smile as soon as distracted with thoughts, feelings, tension, clinging, whatever it may be, but trying to notice the distraction and the loss of the smile as early as possible.  The object of the smile is first and foremost the smile on the lips, but it is also a smile in the mind, a smile in the heart and smiling with the eyes and the whole body!  Be the smile!  

In my experience of this practice the past few days, I find that mindfulness gets better the longer I do it.  It’s as if the walking and the smiling practice “pumps up” the mindfulness.  Haha.  I also had some joy come up as my confidence increased - I had the insight that faith in the Buddha and Dhamma also means faith in yourself.  How could it not be faith in yourself? after all you are the one practicing what the Buddha taught!  This practice is you and the Buddha walking side by side really.  

I am in a “roll your sleeves up” kinda place with my practice.  I really have to work hard at this and do the right effort.  So if you guys are in that kind of place, I’d love to share it.  

Have a great Sunday!

Smiles and metta,


Kirsten 



Comments

  1. Hi Kirsten, Same here. I smiled at your good cheer. All the best! Many smiles and much metta, Rohi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rohi! I'm smiling too, as often as I can remember!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts