The End of the Line
I attended my first ever retreat at Dhammasukha in 2015. This retreat changed the course of my life and I wanted to share one of the many insights I had then about the teaching and what this means for us who are so fortunate to learn TWIM.
A phrase popped into my head that this is “ the end of the line.” In my mind when I heard the phrase I could see the Dhammasukha walking paths and I saw the path ending as if it were becoming erased and the path continued into nothingness.
To me end of the line means the seeking is over, and the answers are right here. It means we have tried so many other things in life to be happy: relationships, career goals, social activism, politics, philosophy and on and on with all the ways you can get lost in the world. These things are left as dust on the side of the road - because we realize there is never an end is sight to any of these pursuits. There is no more confusion about what to pay attention to.
Just for fun, I googled the definition of “end of the line.” Sounds like it came from a Buddhist text! I just had to share!
From wiktionary.org
end of the line (plural ends of the line or ends of the lines)
- The termination point of a railway or similar transportation system. quotations ▼
- (idiomatic) Final cessation or discontinuance of a process, institution, or person, especially one which has existed for a considerable period of time; death. quotations ▼Synonym: end of the road



Comments
Post a Comment